This is the basic information I use when rating a comic. I judge the issue on 4 categories; Cover & Solicit, Art Colors & Inking, Layout & Flow, and Story. Each is then averaged together with Art being weighted double and Story weighted triple, to give my final verdict/rating. I will point out that I read on both a Nook Color HD tablet and on multiple PCs (and even these two mediums occasionally will display differently) and therefore my judgement of the Art may from what is in the printed versions.
I will also preface with saying that I will probably never give a comic or a category a 0 or a 1, but if I do it will be extremely rare. Why? I'm the kind of person that can just enjoy a medium for what it is and appreciate the effort the creative teams put into their work. I also for example can watch a classic B-movie (Syfy movie) and a "Popcorn Flick" and walk away satisfied. So the same goes with comics, I can enjoy it even if what was put out even if badly written or drawn. If a comic is bad however I will usually give a new comic 3 issues to turn around and will give mini-series only 2 issues. For most ongoing comics I will read until the end of a story arc so I can see if the next gets better (normally because you will have a new creative team).
If you have any questions about my rating or want to discuss anything just leave me a comment.
|0.1 - 0.9||Terrible||
0.5 - 2.0
|1.0 - 1.9||Poor||
2.5 - 4.0
(pass on it)
|2.0 - 2.9||Mediocre||
4.5 - 6.0
(wait for it)
|3.0 - 3.4||Decent||
6.5 - 7.0
|3.5 - 3.9||Good||
7.5 - 8.0
8.5 - 9.0
|4.5 - 5.0||Outstanding||
9.5 - 10.0
Cover & Solicit
- Would I pick-up or buy the comic based on the solicit or cover alone?
- Are the alternate covers appealing?
- Does the solicit and cover portray what happens in the issue?
- Do I like the artist's style on the cover?
Art, Colors & Inking- Weighted Double
- Do I personally like this artist's style?
- Does the artist stay true to the characters appearance?
- If there are multiple artists do they blend well and not disturb the reading experience?
- Does the coloring/inking blend well with the artist?
- Is the coloring and inking enjoyable to the eye?
- Is it easy to distinguish what's happening?
Layout & Flow
- Does the layout of the issue make it easy to read?
- Does the issue have a good flow of the plot and keep me engaged?
- Can I easily read the issue, to include lettering?
- Is there too little or too much dialogue or monologue?
- Is it easy to understand what's happening without reading previous issues, or other titles?
Story- Weighted Triple
- How well did the issue further develop the current story?
- How well did the issue further develop the characters?
- Did the writer stay true to the history and characteristics of the characters?
- Did I simply enjoy reading the issue?
- At the end of the issue do I immediately want to read the next one?