Comic Professionals Honor Peers at the 2014 Harvey Awards Banquet
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND - September 7, 2014 - Comic Professionals came together Saturday night, September 6, 2014 to honor their peers during the presentation of the 2014 Harvey Awards, sponsored by Presenting Sponsors Cards, Comics & Collectibles and the Baltimore Comic-Con; Gold Sponsors BOOM! Studios and Comic WOW!, Silver Sponsors Akuna Entertainment, ComicMix, Geppi's Entertainment Museum, Insight Studios Group; Painted Visions Comics, Top Shelf Productions, and Valiant; and Gift Bag Sponsors Abrams ComicArts, Archie Comic Publications, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Entertainment, Del Rey Publishing, Dynamite Entertainment, First Second, Popfun Collectibles, and Valiant Entertainment. The banquette to honor those nominated and the winners in more than 20 categories was hosted by the Baltimore Comic-Con and Cards, Comics & Collectibles.
Writer and Executive Producer Michael Uslan, best know as the man behind the Batman series of movies, acted as host and Master of Ceremonies for this year's event.
Special thanks go to the sponsors who generously donated to the 2014 Harvey Gift Bags, including: Abrams ComicArts; Archie Comic Publications; BOOM! Studios; Dark Horse Comics; DC Entertainment; Del Rey Publishing; Dynamite Entertainment; First Second; Popfun Collectibles; and Valiant Entertainment.
This year's winners include:
- Best Letterer: Terry Moore, RACHEL RISING, Abstract Studios
- Best Colorist: Dave Stewart, HELLBOY: THE MIDNIGHT CIRCUS, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Syndicated Strip or Panel: DICK TRACY, Joe Staton and Mike Curtis, Tribune Media Services
- Best Online Comics Work: BATTLEPUG, Mike Norton, http://www.battlepug.com/
- Best American Edition of Foreign Material: ATTACK ON TITAN, Kodansha
- Best Inker: Wade Von Grawbadger, ALL NEW X-MEN, Marvel Comics
- Best New Series: SEX CRIMINALS, Image Comics
- Most Promising New Talent: Chip Zdarsky, SEX CRIMINALS, Image Comics
- Special Award for Humor in Comics: Ryan North, ADVENTURE TIME, KaBOOM! Studios
- Best Original Graphic Publication for Younger Readers: ADVENTURE TIME, KaBOOM! Studios
- Best Graphic Album Previously Published: MOUSE GUARD VOL. 3: THE BLACK AXE, BOOM! Studios/Archaia
- Best Anthology: DARK HORSE PRESENTS, Dark Horse
- Best Domestic Reprint Project: BEST OF COMIX BOOK: WHEN MARVEL COMICS WENT UNDERGROUND, Kitchen Sink Books/Dark Horse Comics
- Best Cover Artist: Fiona Staples, SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Biographical, Historical or Journalistic Presentation: THE FIFTH BEATLE: THE BRIAN EPSTEIN STORY, Vivek J. Tiwary, Andrew C. Robinson, and Kyle Baker, Dark Horse Comics
- Special Award for Excellence in Presentation: BEST OF COMIX BOOK: WHEN MARVEL COMICS WENT UNDERGROUND, John Lind, Kitchen Sink Books/Dark Horse Comics
- Best Original Graphic Album: THE FIFTH BEATLE: THE BRIAN EPSTEIN STORY, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Continuing or Limited Series: SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughan, SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Artist: Fiona Staples, SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Cartoonist: Paul Pope, BATTLING BOY, First Second
- Best Single Issue or Story: Pizza is my Business, HAWKEYE # 11, Marvel Comics
Harvey Kurtzman Hall of Fame Award: Charles M. Schulz
Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Award: Stan Goldberg
Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Herb Trimpe
In addition, the Baltimore Comic-Con would like to thank those individuals who presented at this year's award ceremony, including: Joe Morciglio, Matt Gagnon, Gerhard, Denis Kitchen, Lora Innes, Fred Hembeck, Cully Hamner, Tom Brevoort, Nick Barrucci, Warren Simons, Laura Martin, Peter Tomasi, Steve Geppi, Louise Simonson, Dave Bullock, and John Cassaday. We would also like to thank Mark Wheatley for his contributions to our voting ballots, program guide for the evening, and awards ceremony presentation, and Glenn Hauman for his "web mastery".
The Baltimore Comic will host the Harvey Awards for the ninth year during the 16th annual show, taking place September 25-27, 2015.