Featured Post

Wacky Wizard Games Imprint and Three New Games Announced by @wwizardgames

Image
Wise Wizard Games announced the launch of Wacky Wizard Games, a new brand imprint focused on family-friendly, lightweight games. Three games are planned for release in 2024 as part of this new brand imprint: Star Realms Academy, Caution Signs, and Pack the Essentials. If you are interested and attending PAX Unplugged they will have prototypes of Caution Signs and Pack the Essentials. "We are super excited to be adding this new family friendly product line to our catalog. We wanted to maintain the focus of Wise Wizard Games on strategy card and dice games with geeky themes, and have created Wacky Wizard Games as an umbrella for lightweight games with a more whimsical, cute vibe," shared Debbie Moynihan, COO of Wise Wizard Games. Star Realms Academy Forge your own star realms, overloaded with cuteness! A kid friendly but still fun for grown-ups version of the popular Star Realms deckbuilding game for 2 players. A little less math, no reading necessary, but still tons of fun! 

Guest Reviews: Thunderbolts #1 - Enlisted

Thunderbolts #1 Review


Thunderbolts #1 Cover
Putting the Team Together Original Review by Johnkmccubbin91 at Comic Vine

I decided to go into this series with an open mind as prior to reading this issue there were things that I was looking forward to, like the characters and seeing Punisher and Deadpool two of my favorite underrated characters team up, whereas I wasn't too sure if I'd like Steve Dillon's art as I usually don't like it.

Plot

This issue sees Thunderbolt Ross A.K.A the Red Hulk putting the Thunderbolts together. He goes all around the world from Somalia, France and Afghanistan to recruit his Thunderbolts, Punisher, Deadpool, Venom, and Elektra.



Review

I've Kept Tabs on You for Years Wade
This was a good start and the issue wasn't as bad as I was dreading. It still wasn't as good as I hoped but considering what I feared it could be I'm happy enough with the outcome. Daniel Way has done a good job introducing the characters in this issue and I love how he's made Thunderbolt Ross the leader of this group. Due to this issue focusing on Ross assembling his group of killers it didn't give any time to explain what his overall goal is or show much action. Although this issue was slow Way has instilled more faith in me that this series can be good and I hope he delivers to that. I also liked how he handled all the different character and although besides Ross and the Punisher, they didn't get a lot of time you could notice they're unique characteristics. I'm also interested in seeing how Way writes Deadpool in this series as he had plenty of time writing him in the previous Deadpool series. The current Deadpool series is however a lot different and the unique inner voices style Way added whilst writing Deadpool has gone. This leaves the question if Way will write him with or without the voices, for continuity's sake I hope he writes him without.

Read the rest of Johnkmccubin91's Review on Comic Vine


Original Review by Tomlikesfries at Comic Vine

Review

Take a look at the team: Punisher, Elektra, Deadpool, Venom and Red Hulk. Needless to say, I had high expectations for this title. This was a good first issue, although, unfortunately, it didn't match my expectations.

The pacing is slow, but that is acceptable for a first issue. The whole number is focused on Ross trying to convince the five "heroes" into joining the team. Honestly, I couldn't understand the reasons for making it up. We can obviously can get an idea of why Thunderbolt decided to create it. I mean, a bunch of assassins gathered in one team has, of course, means to eliminate criminals, but we don't really get to know the motives for making it up only now.

Read the rest of Tomlikesfries' review on Comic Vine


What I Thought

Cover - 5/5
Art - 2/5
Colors/Ink/Lettering - 3/5
Layout/Flow - 4/5
Story - 3/5
Verdict - 3.3

I was excited for this series because like John and Tom, I love most of the characters (I dont' read much about Elektra though). I was originally going to give the cover a three, but after seeing the awesome Young cover, and the Venom  variant, how could I not give them 5s. I REALLLLLLLY hate this art. I have never liked the style and there is no amount of coloring and inking that can resolve it. Everyone looks manly, even Elektra. Overall this was a good starting issue for new readers. It has nothing to do with prior Thunderbolts volumes, well unless you consider the name of the team was derived from their new leader Thunderbolt Ross. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

Purchase Thunderbolts #1 on Amazon


John McCubbin is a blogger at http://imaginationcentre.blogspot.co.uk/. Both Jeremy and Thomas are comic book reviewers at Comic Vine. The use of their reviews have been authorized by the original authors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wacky Wizard Games Imprint and Three New Games Announced by @wwizardgames

Dog Park New Tricks by Birdwood Games Coming Soon to Kickstarter